Friday, March 4, 2011

A very long run

Last Monday (2/28) I was very homesick. I miss my family and friends back home quite a bit and it just seemed to really catch up with me on Monday. So I decided to go for a run. Exercise is not only good for my waist line, but good for clearing my head as well. So I went for a run. As any person who wants to break a sweat would do, I decided to run uphill towards the hills that surround Adelaide. Eventually, I came across the entrance to a big hiking park on Anstey Hill. I had heard this was a good area to hike, so I forgot about my run and decided to go explore. I am so glad I did! I turned a melancholy day into an awesome adventure. (Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me and could photograph none of it...but I will make my way up there again).

So the park was really neat with trails heading up into the hill. These trails had some gorgeous views of the city--spectacular really. They were also full of hidden terrors. Three times on my innocent hike I walked right through some of the strongest, nastiest, biggest spider webs I have ever encountered. Of course, each time I also could also see the massive spider to whom the web belonged. Ugh. I screamed like a little girl each time, flailing my arms, trying to get away from the horrible things. I am so funny sometimes. I am sure people back in the city thought someone was dying on the hill. It was "great." The rest of the time I was so stinking jumpy. I waved a big stick in front of my face to ward off any more nasty webs...I am sure I looked like such a dork. I came across an old, small quarry where, according to a nearby sign, they had held big theater performances (as the rock walls provided nice acoustics). I thought that was pretty neat. I wandered deeper into the hills and came across....A KANGAROO! Yes, that is right, my first kangaroo sighting...and no camera! It was so beautiful. What a wonderful animal. It was pretty big and came very close to me, as I had rustled it out from its weedy hiding place. I am glad I saw one finally...now I just need to see a koala!

I continued hiking and got on some very tiny, unused paths. Eventually I found an old road which I followed right into a MASSIVE, abandoned quarry (I am sure I was not supposed to be there). This thing was huge! Stone as deep and as far as the eye could see. My voice echoed off the walls of the thing and many, many feet below me there was a bunch of water that had collected at the bottom. The water was as clear and blue as you could imagine...beautiful. My goal is to go back there with a camera and dive in for a swim (but don't tell the Australians...they might deport me).

By this time it was getting late and I decided to get home. It took me some time, but I eventually came huffing and puffing back into the driveway. Jon was right at the door, wondering where I had been (I had been gone nearly three hours). It was actually kind of funny, as him and I started on a run at the same time. Whereas he returned after an hour or so, I didn't show up until much later (and everybody knows I can't run that far). So they were a bit worried about me. It was a good run though :-). One of my best.

In Christ,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment