Friday, March 4, 2011

First Fringe Events

After my day with Brett, I had a very full evening. Jon, Katie, and I had planned to attend a couple of Fringe Festival shows while I am here. It seems only fitting as it is such a big part of Adelaide culture and...let's face it...I have not got to see too many neat shows living in Hillsdale. So last week Thursday (2/24) night, we went to two really interesting shows.

The first show was a Christian comedian. This was actually quite good, but a little uncomfortable as it was pretty much just us three an two of the comedian's good friends. How awkward is that!?! I felt bad for the guy, having to perform for an almost empty house. In his defense, however, it was a weekday night. Sitting in a room without a full audience, however, one thing struck me: What if he is not funny? I mean, in a room full of people, one person is bound to think everything that passes a comedian's lips is comic gold, but we were sitting ducks...vulnerable. It was our job to laugh regardless of how funny it was, lest the crickets drown us out. That would have been so awkward! Luckily, he was actually quite good. He had some duds, of course, but he had me chuckling most of the night. Moreover, since there were only a few of us, it was more like a comic discussion than a show. He asked our names, engaged in conversation, and just had a good time with it. I was pleased with the show.

The other show we caught was a guitar show by a member of the Hope Valley congregation. This kid is phenomenal at guitar. His name is Cameron and he is the conservatory trained guitarist of that band I mentioned awhile back, Mr. Goodnight. Well, as a solo performer, he is even more impressive. His show was entitled "A bold display of guitar" and showcased many of his original compositions. They were dark, nihilistic, progressive, stunning compositions and I really enjoyed them for the most part. A good show.

So there you have it, my first two Fringe shows. I reckon we'll attend a few more.

In Christ,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment