Monday, March 7, 2011

The Fringe Parade

Also on Sunday (3/5), I went to the city center to see the Fringe Parade. You may remember that I had gone several weeks back to see the Fringe opening parade and concert, but it had been rained out. Well, the city of Adelaide decided to reschedule the parade, as it is a big community event. Jon and Katie were busy all afternoon, so I decided to go and watch it. Let's just say, I was not particularly impressed. Unlike parades in the states, which seem like massive occasions with tons of floats, bands, veterans and the what-not, this parade was really strange. It pretty much seemed like anybody could walk in it. There were random people banging on pots, a whole mess of girls wearing tutus, random dancers, an eclectic marching band. I was just expecting so much more, to be honest. I was expecting something more like Mardi Gras. Although, in the end, I am glad it didn't meet my expectations. Mardi Gras is not exactly something I should see. The parade was also really short! They moved REALLY slow to compensate for that.

So I walked away from the parade with a sun burn and a few random pictures. Interesting...

But the Fringe shows have been pretty cool thus far and I think the whole festival is really interesting.

Perhaps I am just being too critical of the parade.

In Christ,

Chris

1 comment:

  1. The parade was probably not as good as you thought because it was cancelled and therfore rescheduled and not everyone took part in the parade then. but the fringe parade is meant to be a bit random. and full of things and diffenret arts stuff rather then big floats etc. if you want an awesome parade... you will just have to stay until the 2nd week of november for the annual christmas pagent... one of the best in the world i reakon. well atleast best in Australia by far... but google it and you will get quite a bit of interesting info!

    ReplyDelete