Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Amy's bribe to get into my blog...

After my bike ride of doom, Amy had a surprise for me.

I am not sure if I have mentioned Amy yet in my blog, but if I have not she is a young lady who has been staying with Jon and Katie as well while I have been here. She is a sweet girl and I have loved getting to know here. She was engaged, as I mentioned, to Josh. Both attend Hope Valley church and both have quickly become great friends of mine. Josh, of course, was the person who loaned me his bike and invited me to his Buck's party (which I blogged about previously). They are now married and I will blog about the wedding shortly.

Anyways, Amy had a surprise for me when I got back from the party...a pastry called a "Pig's Ear." A while back I had gone with her to help her into the CBD (central business district) and we needed to stop at the shop of her wedding cake baker. As a lover of all things food, I wanted to see what was in the bakery. I was surprised at that time to see an unbelievably good looking pastry similar to one's I have had in Mexico, Spain, an the United States that I absolutely love (I hadn't as of yet seen them in Australia). The basic pastry is a very light, heart-shaped, crispy pastry that has a hint of sugar and honey to it. This particular bakery's version gave this type of pastry steroids. The beautiful, heavenly thing I saw before me was basically a cream sandwich. It had two of the heart-shaped pastries with think whipping cream in between them. The bottom of the whole thing had then been dipped in chocolate so that half of the heart was covered. The top was drizzled with an extra thick layer of honey. Simply put: it was divine.

Being cheap....I didn't buy one.

Week's later, and after what Amy suspected would be terrible ordeal, she handed me one she had bought that day. What a wonderful gift! And oh was it good....better than I had even imagined. A man could die having treats like that so close to his house! It was unbelievable.

Amy is an angel. She deserves mad props for remembering my ravenous staring in the shop and bringing me one as a gift in my greatest hour of need (haha). I am, of course, playing this up too much....but the thing was really good.

Amy, if you read this. Know that you are loved and it was very appreciated :-).

I did not think to take a picture of the heavenly concoction, but I found a decent picture online of a version very similar to what I ate. Just imagine that the desert in the picture is half covered in dark chocolate and coated with honey. You'll be right on the money :-).

I am currently taking donations to fund additional experiments into the quality of these deserts around Adelaide. Feel free to contribute generously ;-). I might never get one again! (haha...I am joking. I am sure though, that they are expensive as everything else in this country).

In Christ,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment