Friday, March 4, 2011

A day with Brett...

Last week Thursday (2/24) was a very interesting day. I have quickly made several friends here in Adelaide (for which I am grateful). One of these friends, Brett, is really interesting. Why? Partly because, in several regards, he is Adelaide's version of me. He loves academics, is fairly nerdy (in a good way), adores John Wesley, is not terribly fond of American history, wants to pursue a doctorate, and loves Church history. Our passions overlap quite a bit! On the other hand, Brett does have some VERY unusual views and he holds to them quite stridently...but so do I. I like the guy and wish him the best.

Anyways, Brett invited me out on Thursday to get some lunch and see his school, the Uniting College. Brett recently graduated from there with a Bachelors of Theology and is just now finishing up an honors year (which, from what I understand, is an additional year in which to do a thesis). As a fellow academic, he thought I would be interested to wander through his school (which I was). The Uniting College is quite peculiar as far as institutions go, however. First off, the whole college is contained within an old 1970's looking High School. Thus, the building is not terribly impressive. Second, the Uniting College contains the faculty of three creeds--Anglican, Catholic, and Uniting (see my post on the Uniting denomination). As such, the school is a very odd mix of doctrine and practice where students are taught by faculty from all three faiths. Were the Uniting College just a school of religious study, this would make more sense as it would allow a better exchange of information and increased discussion. The Uniting College, however, is a seminary as well. It graduates ordained ministers taught by members of 3 different creeds. This fact blew my mind. One of the Uniting Professors there explained to me the history of how this all came to be.

The Catholic, Anglican, and Uniting Church each used to have their individual seminaries. However, seeing as religious study is not particularly popular in Australia (which is very European and thus, very secular), they could not maintain their programs without joining forces. Originally, they acknowledged their differences in creed and allowed faculty members from opposing faiths to teach only basic classes (Old/New Testament, Greek, Hebrew, etc.) The upper level theology courses were only taught by one's specific denomination. As time went by, however, this structure started to break down. Classes were shared universally across the board and the college became more free with its doctrine. As of late, however, the professor explained that the Uniting Church has seen how far things have gone astray and are taking measures to correct it. I think this is good, as the thought of an ordained minister trained by faculty of three radically different confessions blows my mind. I am all for ecumenicism, but perhaps it can be taken too far.

Anyways...I did find the college very interesting. It taught me much about the religious culture in Australia. Many seminaries are very beautiful in America--they are architectural wonders, with amazing technology, huge libraries, excellent faculty, comfortable student areas, etc. The Uniting College was none of these things. It got the job done with little fanfare. Whereas in America we pour heaps of money into our seminaries, the Uniting College here in Adelaide is one of the most Spartan buildings I have seen. Perhaps this is indicative of their more secular college. In Australia, there are not many students wanting to receive religious training, not a lot of money for religious institutions, and few confessing Christians who would want to donate to the College. It is a different world. I appreciate so much more of what we have back in the states, fear the direction we might be heading in, and admire so much about the Church in Australia. Though it may be hanging on by a thread, it is hanging on. Students go, graduate, and hopefully move on to build God's kingdom. This, in the end, is all that matters.

Just to be certain: I am not condemning the college or the church here in Australia. I am merely comparing schools in American and here, learning a ton in the process. It says something very powerful about a culture when one of their foremost religious institutions is an old, small, abandoned school. It says something about what the Australian people hold dear. It says something about the resilience of the church. My heart bleeds for their cause here.

After showing me around the college, Brett took me to nearby Henley beach. This beach was gorgeous! I got myself a wonderful meat pie, an iced coffee and enjoyed the scenery. We walked around the beach, explored an old Wesleyan octagon-styled Church and had a wonderful time.

I like Brett. I think we will get along just fine. Though I must say, he didn't much take to the fact that I am a monarchist well ;-).

In Christ,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment