Wednesday, May 18, 2011

4/7--Downtown or Bust

On April 7th, I took a trip downtown. For the first part of the day I met up with a good friend and just walked around the city, doing a bit of exploring. Around lunch, however, I was on my own. I first made my way to the University of Adelaide's library. I had been told that they had a really interesting display of old Bibles to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the KJV translation. Though it was a bit hard to find the library, I was not disappointed. They had a bunch of really old translations and editions spanning from some of the earliest medieval manuscripts to modern aboriginal translations. The exhibit was well set up and had a bunch of quality information to go along with each work. I am such a nerd and spent way too long here. :-)

After checking out the old Bibles and somewhat want for something to do, I happened to walk by the State Masonic Lodge of South Australia and noticed a sign for free tours that afternoon. I couldn't pass up an opportunity like that!

For starters, the outside of the Masonic Lodge is just awe inspiring. It is this massive stone structure with huge Greek pillars and a lot of ornamentation. The inside is just as gorgeous with large chandeliers, grandiose staircases, and decorations everywhere. After waiting some time for the tour to start, we made our way up to the top floor and into the secret masonic chambers. Haha!

I was actually very impressed with how much they allowed us to see of the masonic lodge. I ended up standing in some places and seeing some things I figured were absolutely secret, but not in this case at least. Our guide took us through the whole building and explained a lot about the history of the order in Adelaide and what the symbols represented. Luckily, this did not turn into merely a "come and join the masons" spiel. On the contrary, I actually found it very informative.

Now, I know that the Masons are super secretive and I am sure he did not share with us even half of what it means to be a Mason, but I found what was told us confusing and troublesome. One tenet of being a mason, for example, requires that you acknowledge one supreme being (according to the tour guide). You must believe in some grand architect and designer of the universe--be it Allah, God, Jesus, whatever. But then he began telling us that the Masons are open to men of all faith--including Hindus and Buddhists. As far as I know though, most Hindus and Buddhists do not acknowledge one God. There is a whole pantheon of Hindi deities for example. So it seems as if they contradict themselves. Am I right?

In any event, the stuff he did describe and its "meaning" always made me shutter. I am glad for the Masons. I am sure they do some good things, but I can find enough "community" in the church to suit me. I don't need some secret body of friends to believe I am part of something beyond myself. I praise God that He is a God of openness and honesty.

After the tour, two of the older guys who went along with me laughingly asked if I was convinced and would become a Mason. I quickly explained my concerns with secret societies in general. They were startled by my accent and asked what I was doing in little Adelaide. After explaining a bit more, they invited me to coffee. Isn't that random? Here I am, minding my own business, and the next thing I know I am beating treated to coffee by two friendly, old men who just wanted to talk.

It was good fun, actually. One was very pro-American while the other was a bit more cynical. It was fun to bounce back and forth between them and explain my views on America's global policy.

Soon after meeting them, I ran into the State library to do a bit of research. Inside I got sidetracked by a hallway I had not been down before. It led to the most gorgeous library I have ever seen. This old wing of the library looks straight out of a fairy tale. It rises three stories up and is covered in mahogany shelves. There is even an old ladder that you push along the shelves to climb up to the top shelves. It was beautiful.

Eventually, I caught a bus home. Just another adventure for me in the booming city of Adelaide.

In Christ,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment