Thursday, May 19, 2011

4/18--My Mystical Ascent

During the day on Monday the 18th, I had the opportunity to go rock climbing with Steve Crocker (whom I have blogged of before) and Justin Farrell (who is one of the most attractive, athletic, and outgoing people you'll ever meet!). Justin is an outdoor education instructor of sorts and often leads rock climbing expeditions into the hills immediately surrounding Adelaide. He and Steve were planning on doing some climbing for he first part of Easter Holiday and invited me to tag along. I am so happy they did.

I used to teach outdoor education back at Camp Michindoh in the States. I loved it. Easily it was one of the best jobs I have ever had. In that capacity, I taught a rock climbing course. So I am not unfamiliar to the world of climbing. Climbing on a real rock wall, however, without designated holds and such was a new challenge. Despite my fear of heights, I loved it.

Justin and Steve were actually quite impressed with my climbing abilities considering it was my first time on actual rock. They said it has something to do with the American spirit of "just do it." I might agree, but I think it has more to do with my spirit of wanting to try everything at least once. But perhaps that is part of the American psyche. At the very least, it seems many in Australia perceive it as such.

In any event, we started with some easy climbs and worked our way up to some very difficult ones. We spent the morning there and drove back so I could do more work in the afternoon. By the end, my fingers were aching! It was totally worth it though. If I ever have time to develop an outdoor hobby, this might be the one I choose.

Thanks for taking me guys!

In Christ,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment