Thursday, May 19, 2011

4/15--The Central Markets

I have to backtrack a bit because I forgot a few exciting adventures. Such is the case when you fall over a month behind in blogging!

On the morning of the 15th, Jon and Katie took me to the Central Markets in Adelaide. Ever since walking through the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, I have loved going to big market places. It is just so much fun to see all the colors, smell all the smells, and hear all the banter and haggling. Markets are always bustling and exciting. In Michigan, we don't have many markets like this. Occasionally some farmers will get together to sell their wares, but nothing nearly as organized as a market district.

So when I heard Adelaide had the markets, I was very keen to go. I wasn't disappointed. Adelaide is a relatively small city and the markets were not huge, but there was a vast array of fresh goods there. The markets are also conveniently located next to Adelaide's tiny "China Town."

While in the markets I found one of the strangest things I had ever seen (Dragon Fruit). Has anybody ever eaten one of these? What are they like?

Here are some pictures of the market. My favorite part was the fresh fish dealer. It is so cool to see all the fish for sale and on display.

In Christ,

Chris

2 comments:

  1. You had an opportunity to use the word "fish-monger"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were heaps of fish-mongers in the Markets! So where have you been, Dr. Stewart? I haven't heard from you in ages.

    ReplyDelete