Monday, April 18, 2011

Port Lincoln

The drive to Port Lincoln on Saturday (4/2) was not terribly long. After a full-on day of driving the other day, this was very welcome. Port Lincoln itself was very beautiful. Being a port city, it is full of really wealthy shipping owners and tuna farmers. Some of the houses were just amazing. The town itself was a nice, historic port-side town with little shops, cafes, and restaurant. The beach, of course, was astounding. The cloudy morning had turned into an amazingly beautiful day.

We spent most of the morning exploring the city a bit and walking along the beach. A few things of note: 1.) Port Lincoln is known for its shark sightings. There are signs along the piers telling people of the emergency shark plans and the like. I found this a bit unsettling. Apparently you can even book tours to go out and swim with the sharks in a big shark cage. I would not find that cool in the slightest! 2.) Off of the pier they had a little area for people to swim. This was interesting because it was all fenced off underwater. Jon said this was to keep the sharks out of a designated swimming area. What a different culture! Go swim in the fenced off area. That will keep the sharks away...interesting. I took a picture of it to show some you what I mean 3.) There are some massive old trees right along the beach. The branches are as thick as most trees I have ever seen (see above pic).

For lunch we had the most amazing meal I have had in Australia to date. Being a port town and having a huge fishing industry, Port Lincoln is known for its fresh seafood. We all went to a restaurant and ordered two of their massive seafood platters for the five of us. Though they were expensive (Jon was paying!), they were absolutely amazing. I would be willing to guess that some of the stuff on the platter had been caught that morning it was so fresh. The best part was, because I so rarely get seafood in Michigan, everything on the plate was new to me. Jon had to teach me how to eat most of it, haha.

The platter had fries, salad, mussels, oysters, pickled octopus, pickled scallops, fried Whiting fish, salt and pepper calamari, garlic prawns (shrimp), and these massive things called King Prawns. I had a bit of everything. The only thing I didn't care for were the mussels. They had an odd consistency and tasted a bit too salty. But the rest of the meal was great. Not only did I enjoy the food, I enjoyed playing with it too (see picture). So good!

Wow...I can be such a child.

After lunch we took off to head back toward Tumby Bay.

In Christ,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment